Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Shortened My Jingle

I've been silent about the Kevin Garnett trade. It's a cop-out to tell you to read this freedarko post but it pretty much sums up my feelings: spent, resigned, a little hopeful. Plus, the photos are great. It's clear the Timberwolves weren't on the correct path with KG so maybe the five new players will change something. Still, he was the best player in the NBA over the past 12 seasons.

A note about yesterday's piece: If you liked it, you're in luck. It's the first in a series of memoir-ish stories about 2006, one of the more interesting years of my life. If you didn't like it, there's always tomorrow.

Today I'm wearing one of my striped dress shirts - the one with four shades of blue and one each of gray and black. I like this one. More than the others.

Here's a link to a video of the 25 best typographic title sequences in movies.

Here are three random observations about John From Cincinnati, relevant even if you've never seen the show:
I like big shows, sprawling narratives. I like that this show has at least four voices of reason (moral centers): Ramon, Kai, Bill, and The Physician. I like that it has five improving antagonists: Freddy, Palaka, Linc, Tina, and Cissy.

The acting is amazing. I've talked about Ed O'Neill's Bill before. But Brian Van Holt's Butchie, Rebecca De Mornay's Cissy, and Jim Beaver's Vietnam Joe are great too. De Mornay's character takes some getting used to but it all begins to click around episode 4.

My favorite line (among hundreds) of the series so far: Ramon, confirming that Shaun indeed skateboards: "It's how he gets around on land." You can find more great quotes here.

No comments: