Monday, August 06, 2007

Rivers Of Suggestion

Blogging hasn't totally replaced my more "traditionally creative" writing. Be sure to check out my story Dinosaur House on Identity Theory and a few new poems here.

I'm also not the only one in my family who blogs.

I wanted to write about the Minneapolis bridge collapse. It's a hard thing to write about. It's difficult to throw out one's personal "experiences" with the bridge without it seeming random and meaningless. It's difficult to express sympathy for complete strangers. I was just in Minneapolis in the days before the collapse and, though I can't say that I saw it coming, I can say that I always felt that that bridge was a little tenuous.

It happened in a beautiful place. The river and its bluffs and winding roads on both sides manage to be both scrappy and gorgeous this time of year. Other nearby bridges over the river inspire me more and those are the bridges traffic will be detoured to in the coming months or years. If you're in Minneapolis, look at the sun reflecting off the river-facing portion of the Weisman Museum in the morning if you're crossing the Washington Avenue Bridge. Or be happy that you're heading toward Dinkytown if you're crossing the 10th Avenue Bridge from the west. Nothing bad ever happens in Dinkytown.

This is the week I move into the new office, three buildings away. I trade in my "access" for a sliding glass door. I give up my "prestige spot" for three times the space. These are fair trades.

A few scattered observations from the last nine days:
  • I like the 101 Coffee Shop at sunset.
  • I like it when it rains outside of Vegas.
  • There's no excuse for Phil Collins missing from this list of the 50 greatest rock drummers.
  • I've been yawning too much lately.
  • Ventura is a quiet town on a Friday night, at least in the parts of the city close to the freeway.
  • I shouldn't speak of serious things when sleepy and sluggish
  • There are some great deals on CDs at the Hollywood Goodwill

No comments: