Monday, November 12, 2007

It Was A Non-Recommend Recommend

Curb Your Enthusiasm is one of my favorite shows. I appreciate its ambition. For each of their six seasons (except maybe the first), Larry David constructs a well-thought-out season-long plot to accompany each episode's 30 minute plot. The problem is that the final episodes usually left me wanting more. There was the final episode of the "restaurant" season. I loved how it ended but would have appreciated it if Larry's restaurant were ever mentioned again in the seasons that followed. It wasn't. I was more disappointed in the endings of the "Producers" and "adoption" seasons. They just should have been better.


This season, Larry has faced the end of his marriage and the introduction of a new family into his home. I was a little unsure of how it would end and a bit worried it would disappoint. It didn't. I won't give anything away except to say the last five minutes were brilliant, touching, and jaw-droppingly funny.

Please let there be a seventh season.

Yes, I watched a lot of TV this weekend, a fact that was mentioned in yesterday's apparently whiny post. Yeah, you're right. It was just a fever. But I chose to add a little symbolism.

Time for a big topic change.

When I was a kid growing up on the Pennsylvania suburban range, there was a strange ritual that my parents, sister, and I would take part in at least once every few weekends (this was from about age 11 to 15.) We would get in the family car and drive to Quakertown to go a place called the Sweetheart Steak Shoppe which specialized in Philly-style cheese steak sandwich . According to Google maps, it was 18 miles from Buckingham to Quakertown. And it was all city and country roads - no freeways. So it seemed a very long way to drive for a cheese steak sandwich.

(I tried to find an image to place right here, one
that would capture Quakertown, cheese steaks,
or my family. No such image exists)



What I didn't understand was why we just didn't drive 18 miles in the other direction and go to Philadelphia for a real Philly-style cheese steak. Sometimes, we'd combine the food with a trip to the Quakertown Mall. My family loved malls but that place was just sad. No reason to set foot in there. So, really it was just for the food (and the occasional "ha ha look at them" pointing at the Amish people on the side of the road with their wagons).

But here's the thing - and the point of this rather lame entry: to this day, I remember the oddly sweet tasting cheese on the Sweetheart's cheese steaks. It's a flavor that fills me with good thoughts and maybe that's why we made that trip. Yeah, we could have gone to that awful Nate's place in Doylestown but why not make an hour long round trip for something better? Besides, my family never really talked to each other, so it was good to be in a car and at least be forced to have some kind of conversation.

(I can't figure out why my line spacing gets messed up whenever I center something. My html looks flawless. Does anyone have any ideas?)

No comments: