Monday, November 19, 2007

Sounds like a pocketful of rain

I spent much of the weekend driving and listening to Prefab Sprout's first album Swoon. I haven't listened to it in such a long time that I forgot how many of Paddy McAloon's lines ring true as life mottoes, 25 years after he write them:
"All words are trains for moving past what really has no name" - Couldn't Bear To Be Special
Here, the simple notion of not finding the right words to say is expressed beautifully. You never reach perfection with language; you just approach it.

"I've learned today, the most eloquent way, to speak or to pray, is straight from the heart" - Green Isaac
A correct, if obvious, plea for honesty.

"Cruel is the gospel that sets us all free and takes you away from me" - Cruel
As with words and their lack of perfection, love from and for another person in a universe of individuality continues to elude.

"I long for the moon as it looks from the earth" - Green Isaac (Part II)
It's either about a man always wishing for a change is perspective or God wishing to be mortal. Or both.
"Should a love be tender, and bleed out loud? Or be tougher than tough, and prouder than proud? - Cruel
Do we give in to love (and its compromises)? Or do we stand steadfast and wait it out?

"There's a mile between the way you see me and the way I am" - Couldn't Bear To Be Special
We're all a little different from within. For some, it's a mile; others, a centimeter. For me, it's 400 meters.
Thanks to this website for the picture above.

No comments: