Tuesday, November 06, 2007

The Barkers and the Colored Balloons

(new stuff at the poetry blog)

(magnificent bastard on fire!)



(written in the early morning fog of yesterday, Los Angeles)


That's one way to instigate change, to go somewhere new for morning coffee.

The traffic is different here. The people look the same. The cars move faster, the feet move about the same. The photographs on the wall are of places I've been and buildings I've seen. The walls are unprotected, partially, from the elements.

I am unprotected from the future, from the delivery of bad news, from the promise of love, from long lost old friends appearing suddenly around corners. I'll get used to the traffic sounds, to the expectations in this part of town, to the different lexicon, to the alternate routes further east of where I work, rather than west.

I wonder how cold it has to get before they turn on the heating lamps. I hope they never come on. I just saw the woman who played Gina (rhymes with Carolina) in The 40-Year-Old Virgin. She's tired; she needs coffee.

They're playing Sugar Mountain by Neil Young. Though I can't forgive him for everything, I love this song. You have to make some things new to recognize the good in the old.

No comments: