Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Top 11 Linkable (For Now) Songs of the First 290 Days of 2007

11. Love Song of the Buzzard - Iron and Wine
Nice song. Nice steel guitar.

10. Elephant Gun - Beirut
Listen to this song exactly three times. One time, it's annoying. Twice, it's jarring. Three times, it's amazing. Four or more? Annoying again.

9. Australia - The Shins
Catchy, cool, swiftly special.

8. Chocolate Rain - Tay Zonday
Best video on this list.

7. Peacebone - Animal Collective
If I could find a link to their best song of the year, For Reverend Green, I'd put it in the top 3. But it's not out there so you can't hear it.

6. AYO Technology - 50 Cent (featuring Justin Timberlake and Timbaland)
Why do I feel this song will be played often in strip clubs all over the world?





5. BlackMen Ski - Stew
Yes, Stew, they do.












4. Ex Guru - Fiery Furnaces
Who doesn't love the guitar at the beginning?







3. Love To A Monster - Okkervil River
The only link I could find is this live (I think) version from youtube. The camera's shaky and the studio version is definitely more powerful and angrier. But this is nice too. Sadly, the song is only available as an "e-music exclusive." It's not on the official release of their great new album. Best lines:

I hope you get angry and hurt and have the hardest of landings
And I hope your new man thinks of me when he sees what a number I did on you





2. I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You - Black Kids
Yes it's true. I like sing-songy anthems sung with youthful exuberance. I always have. I always will.








1. LDN - Lily Allen
Yeah this song came out last year in England but it wasn't officially released in the U.S. until January so I'm obligated to put it here, at #1, where it belongs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have the weirdest taste in music! But then again I guess you know that, don't you?

I am inspired to start my own list... which will appropriately be posted on my blog one week prior to the new year...

Lily Allen should be, but won't be, on my list. I bought the album as an import in November 2006 - so it definitely had run its course for me by the time it came out in the states.