Thursday, October 18, 2007

Power is Knowing

I continue to be inscrutable. That's just the way it goes.

Yesterday's list disappoints me. The songs were good but the writing and pictures should have been better.

Phoenix Sun star Amare Stoudamire gets two tattoos: one says Knowledge is Power; the other reads Knowledge is Knowing. And freedarko responds with two of the best pieces you'll ever read about Heidegger, Foucault, post-colonial thought, and the slam dunk.

The 40 Worst Lyricists in Rock. They're wrong about #13. They're way too hard on #1 (he belongs at #37). #23 should be #3. #26 should be #2. #10 should be #1. But other than that, it's perfect. The lyrical snippers in #17 and #16 are hilarious.

If you asked me what 90s rock icon would be writing a staggeringly long and fantastically over-enthusiastic blog entry about the music of The Negro Problem and Stew, Adam Duritz of Counting Crows wouldn't have my top 5. But there he is.

Go see Michael Clayton. On a related note, the older I get, the more people (2 of them) tell me I look like George Clooney. According to experts, he was the sexiest man alive last year. What does that make me?

2 comments:

Jason said...

The rock lyricists aren't all THAT bad. I mean how many albums did Rush or any of these bands make? Certainly they all had moments of clarity, and I like Carly Simon.

That said, "Riders on the Storm" is the best song ever to be ruined by bad lyrics. "His brain is squirming like a toad." Give me a break! Ugh! I agree with you about number 10 needing to be number 1. And I'll go further and say that the list should be just Jim Morrison. His crappiness pales all the others.

Anonymous said...

I really don't see the George Clooney thing. I think you take after your mother some. Oh, by the way, how is AF?