Tuesday, September 18, 2007

My 10 Favorite Movies of All Time (with seven word justifications)





10. Miracle Mile (1988). Apocalypse. Love. Wilshire Blvd. Saxophone. World's end.











9. Citizen Kane (1941). Ambition. Cool camera angles. Bad decisions. Sled.








8. Untamed Heart (1993). Love by the river. The Mississippi River.








7. Henry Fool (1998). Three kinds of there (they're, their, there).









6. Los Angeles Plays Itself (2003). Documentary about movies. Buildings. Beauty. Pathos. Sleek.















5. She's Gotta Have It (1986). The first great indie film. Nola. Darling.










4. Vertigo (1958). Shivers down spine. Museum. Mission. Hair. Stalker.









3. The Big Lebowski (1998). This is our concern, dude. League game.








2. Pulp Fiction (1994). Never seen anything like it before. Sprite.











1. Boogie Nights (1997). Comedy and drama together, in every scene.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay... Two questions:

1. Miracle Mile? Really? I mean, it's great and all, but top ten worthy... I don't know. I don't know if Anthony Edwards deserves a top 10.

2. What is so "sleek" about Los Angeles Plays Itself? I would say dark, even sarcastic...

Ali said...

1. Somehow, the movie managed to overcome both Anthony Edwards AND Mare Winningham. Maybe Top 10 is an overreach but I wanted to put something in there unlike all the other movies I tend to like. I wanted to acknowledge that not all paranoid apocalyptic thrillers were bad.

2. Sleek? I was thinking about the architecture in many of the clips. The downtown skyscrapers... the houses in the hills.