Sunday, September 09, 2007

Leave behind the color blue

It occurs to me that I have never written a blog entry outdoors. Today, I rectify this. I'm sitting on the porch of my Hollywood bachelor pad. It is a perfect morning. Skinny, the neighborhood homeless cat (she really has 3 homes, on 3 porches) is circling my chair, occasionally digging her claws (lightly) into my jeans. She's happy that I'm keeping her company.

Is it wrong for a man to write so much about cats? I don't think so.

Wow, what a view I have. I see the historic Capitol Records building to the west and the Griffith Observatory to the north. Closer in my field of vision, the golden arches of McDonalds frame an actual functioning Sears store. There are many birds. There is the CNN building. I see satellite dishes on rooftops. I've never lived n elevation before. I like it.

Cats are wise and fascinating creatures. They're smarter than dogs and tougher than mice.

Tomorrow is my birthday. I no longer fear the aging that each year brings. It's all the same to me. The life just runs together, as it should.

Tonight, the new Curb Your Enthusiasm season starts. It's been too long since the last one ended. I was living in Santa Monica then. There were weekly appointments and quiches and Saturday bagels. As with many places in my life, we don't live there anymore.

I wish Laurel and Stephanie a safe and happy ride across the desert and the plains. When they reach southeastern Minnesota, let's hope there's still a little bit of the good weather left.

Speaking of the early '00s, Mark Eitzel's The Invisible Man is nearly perfect. I could listen to its Pro Tools brilliance over and over again. So many great moments and insightful lyrics: "bitterness poisons the soul" ... "I don't know if I will ever love again" ... "You were not wrong to give me all your clothes" and more here.

I think the script is almost done. For the first time, I'm seeing all the way through it. And I like what I see.

No comments: