Tuesday, February 28, 2006

L.A. Is My Woman

In honor of my writer's block and my move from Santa Monica to Los Angeles (15 miles but several worlds away), here's a poem from the recent past (i.e., 2003):

L.A. Is My Woman*
L.A. is my woman
Minneapolis is my girl
Virtue is my sturm und drang
Patience is my protest song

Sweden is my epilepsy
Egypt is my gout
Babylon is my sister
That's "Doctor" to you, Mister

One is so pretty
The other so witty
How can I choose?
I've got the blueprint blues

L.A. is my woman
Minneapolis is my girl
I love the smell of boogie nights
As I ascend Andromeda Heights

Dr. Germ is my nemesis
Chemical Ali is my evil twin
Satan is my neighbor
God my toothless sabre

One is so dirty
The other so flirty
How does one choose?
Oh I've got the blueprint blues

But then... architects have arguments
This is known to be true
Drafting boards are stained with the lack of consensus
Frank Lloyd Wright and I.M Pei have had their diff-er-ences
Architects
Have arguments

L.A. is my woman
Minneapolis is my girl
One loves the truth in beauty
The other the beauty in truth
To quote a certain song
They're both wrong

*thanks to Mark Eitzel (not Jim Morrison or Frank Sinatra) for the title

No comments: