Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Cobwebs

My life has temporarily been taken over by a treasure hunt. More specifically, the hunt for one of the three (or four) remaining tokens in the treasure hunt related to the book A Treasure's Trove. I will find one of the remaining treasures - hopefully, the spider (the most valuable one, at $400,000 or so). Of this I am certain. I may be super-busy at work. I may be moving in 9 days. My in-laws may be arriving in 4 days. But I will find the treasure. To paraphrase jittery rapper Eminem, this sort of an opportunity only arises once in someone's life, yo. I'm about 20% convinced that the spider treasure is housed in a park in a smallish city in which I once lived, during my harvest years. Many have speculated on the pleasant smell of the nights in this town. Poems in which the transparency of memory emerges as a primary theme have been written about this very park.

It's now official: Robert Horry of the San Antonio Spurs is the most overrated athlete in the history of organized sports. He's been in the NBA so long that his fade haircut has fallen out of style, come back in style, and fallen out again. During this time he's had exactly one good game (this past Sunday) and now people are comparing him to Sidney Moncrief, readying his Hall of Fame plaque. Okay, he's made a few clutch shots. He's missed slightly more. I'd rather have Antonio McDyess coming off the bench at the 4 spot. Or even Elden Campbell. I could post Robert Horry up and drive for a layup. And I'd get the foul. And he's something like 6'10". Still, the Spurs will win in 7.

1 comment:

Jason said...

You're certainly eating your words now, Mister, after Big Bob made those three 3's in the last minute and a half of game 6 to win the whole thing for San Antonio! I bet you regret calling him... Oh, wait, sorry.