Thursday, June 23, 2005

Birthday Cake-Pie

June 23: 1 day. 2 posts. Enjoy it while you can.

Yesterday at work, we had more unnecessary meetings (see March 10 post). During one of these meetings, the small 12-person work group to which I belong debated whether it was appropriate to continue the short monthly "voluntary" birthday get-togethers during which all birthdays in the larger (50-person) organization are celebrated. Some people didn't like being forced to have fun. Others wondered why fun was such a problem. Some people disliked being invited to parties they did not wish to attend. Others wondered why some people couldn't just say "no" to the friendly invitations. I sat bewildered, wondering why either side was all that important in the great wonder of the universe. Sure, I don't like any kind of birthday cake that doesn't include chocolate. I especially dislike carrot cake, the favorite of this year's social committee (yes, there is a social committee, a group no one wants to be a part of in the upcoming fiscal year, which prompted the whole debate). I cringe when Happy Birthday is sung out of tune and unenthusiastically. But I still can't see myself getting worked up enough to passionately (and it was all very passionate) argue the notion of monthly office birthday shindigs. I understand why they're important (everyone gets recognized in a democratic, almost random way, except for those unfortunate December birthdays. Those poor folk are always forgotten). I understand why they're sometimes painful (as when the "Birthday Breakfast" idea failed miserably back in February. No one realized a toaster (illegal in our building, for insurance purposes) is a prerequisite for English muffins). But 45 minutes spent debating a 10 minute-per-month event is overkill. And it's not over yet; no "consensus" was reached. It only took me 5 minutes to write this, so don't go noting the irony of my post.

I hope the birthday parties continue. This September, I'd like a chocolate cake-pie. The richest of chocolates, the moistest of cake textures, the flakiest of pie crusts.

3 comments:

Jason said...

The cakepie will surely take over the world.

Anonymous said...

I'm hungry. I'll be hungrier tomorrow.

Rosa said...

I know this post is ancient... But I just stumbled upon it, and without knowing if you got your birthday wish would like to present my version of birthday cake-pie. :-)

http://cakesbyrosa.wordpress.com/2008/01/13/cake-pie/