Friday, July 27, 2007

Minneapolis, 2007 #1

The Espresso Royale coffee shop in the Dinkytown neighborhood of Minneapolis still hasn't changed much since 2002. In 2002, it hadn't changed much since 1997. The back half-booth, green upholstered and slightly bumpy, still provides the best spot for laptop writing, with its view of the front door and the sun outside, with its easy access to electrical outlets.

They have added free internet access. I applaud them for that.

I woke up on a friend's spare futon in south Minneapolis this morning. I've known John since the spring of 1985, since that first day we worked together at Southdale Cinema in Edina, Minnesota. I was a veteran of the movie theater, having worked there since the fall of 1984, weathering storms and telling tales of the time that Ghostbusters and Purple Rain played at the same time ("the parking lots were so full, people had to park by the Galleria and pray they could find two seats together, my son.")

More than two decades have passed. A lot has happened to me since then - game shows (2), marriage (1) , divorce (0.99), non-compilation non-live non-cover Springsteen albums (5), Twins world championships (2), cats (3), and apartments (17). A lot has happened to John too - children (1), game consoles (at least 3), and jobs (only 3 I think, the last of which he's had for 16 years!). Still, we've remained friends, and at the risk of turning this into a Kenny Loggins/Stevie Nicks duet, I'll just say I'm thankful for that.

It's humid in Minneapolis today. I'm here for fun. I'm here for work. I'm here for cleansing an attic of my archives.

They're playing I Want A New Drug by Huey Lewis. The mop-haired dude that's been working here since 1999 is singing along in falsetto.

I have somewhere important to be in 27 minutes. More to come.

No comments: