Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Analysis Of A Mix CD, Part 2: We Fit Together Walking

Now, to the songs. (note: the stories will get more interesting as the mix progresses.)

1. This Song - Ron Sexsmith

For a while (2000-2002), I bought everything this guy put out, impressed with his seamless songwriting and skilled - if chirpy - singing. I still like his music but I'm not as much into the winsome/sweet-but-mopey stuff as I used to be (as you'll soon see). This song, though, is a masterpiece. It's a simple idea - a song about a song, filled with metaphor and stretched phrasing:

I brought a song into this world
Just a melody of words

And so on. It provides a good - slightly obvious - introduction to what follows - i.e., songs.

(Oh yeah - as you may have guessed, he's Canadian. And yeah there are better pictures of him out there. )

2. Love Is Coming Through The Door - Stew


This irresistably happy and poppy song needs to be on this mix because the listener needs to be prepared for the mopefest that will follow. Back then, I liked everything Stew did. I still do. If you're in New York, go see his play. For now, enjoy this perfect sunny verse:

There will be a time for everything
When all distractions fall away
But at this time I would give anything

For an endless summer day

3. La Serenita - Plasticina Mosh

Oops. Now I know why I didn't send this CD to Kansas City. There's a mistake on this song. It suddenly ends mid-song, right before the soaring second verse. This is a freakishly catchy song off the Y Tu Mama Tambien soundtrack. Nothing more to say here, soul-baring-wise.

4. Gentle On My Mind - Mark Eitzel

This is a lovely song about friendship. It gets me here (points to chest) every time. The original by Glen Campbell is nice but Mark Eitzel nails this song. Even though he's one of my favorite songwriters, this cover of someone else's song is my favorite of his. And I love these words:

It's not clinging to the rocks and ivy
Planted on their columns now that bind me
Or something that somebody said because
They thought we fit together walking


5. Exercise - Clem Snide


This is a love song. I was married then. This song reminds me of that time. Going to the gym... twisting ankles ... moving furniture ...caring ...caring too much

Take it easy or you'll hurt yourself
Dance that couch across the floor


It's rollicking. It's slow. It has a stand-up bass solo that sounds better live.

It's also not a love song

There's no way love will help
Your twisted ankle when you fall

No comments: