Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Who Knocked the Crack in the Liberty Bell?

Apparently, "Blueprint Blues" is the name of a British blues magazine. So I need a new name for this thing. No, I haven't been contacted by their people. When only six people read your blog, it takes a while for word to spread to West London. It's just that I want to express an original voice. Any ideas?

I’ll assume the deafening silence to my college basketball entries is due to either a reflexive disdain for sports-related writing or a reverent silence felt by those who read the pieces and can only sit back and say “there’s nothing more to add.” Or maybe the entries were so mind-staggeringly long and (apparently) challenging that, like the films of Kurosawa or the books of Murakami (neither of which I’ve seen or read), they rendered themselves to being passed over for another check of one’s e-mail or a trip to the impressive New York Public Library digital archives: http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/index.cfm

That said, let me add that Illinois, Arizona, Washington, and West Virginia will win Thursday. And North Carolina, Wisconsin, Duke, and Kentucky will win Friday. This means that seven of the eight final schools will also be names of states. My revised Final Four: Illinois, Washington, Wisconsin, and Kentucky. My revised championship game: Washington over Kentucky. Because, like I’ve said before: I’ve been to Seattle. It’s a nice city.

What’s more frustrating than reading about a sport you’re not interested in? How about hearing a weather report from a place where you may not live? Los Angeles is lovely today. Puffy Dutch clouds. Azure skies. Warm, no rain. Melted marshmallow clouds. And those Santa Ana winds, here they come again. None of this is visible from my cubicle on the 22nd floor (23rd in name but there is no 13th floor). All I see peripherally is (lovely) framed art, a hardly-ever-used desk phone, an empty bottle of “endurance” water, my “souvenir” Jeopardy audition pen, and yellow sticky notepaper, with my mad scribblings bounding to their borders. One more hour in the skyscraper and then it’s off to the salt-aired far west side, where the people are ruddier but happier for it.

And if you need an explanation for today's title, click on this (sound!) link (via John Paulson, who by the way is not the John referenced in part 2 of my predictions. thanks):

http://mediamogul.seas.upenn.edu/pennsound/authors/365/365-Days-Project-04-16-ali-muhammad-alis-historical-theme-song-1976.mp3

No comments: