Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Brackets of Poppy, Teacups of Moxi

Basketball is my favorite sport. So, starting Thursday, the NCAA tournament will take much of my attention for the next few weeks. By tomorrow (I hope), I will foist upon Blueprint Blues my predictions for the first round of games. These predictions will be colored with stories of my personal experiences with particular universities, as well as interactions with noted alumni. I promise you that the topic of dentistry will come up when I discuss a particular game involving a #1 seed taking on a #16 seed. Also, the miniature teacup collection of my former boss, who shares a hometown with a beloved overrated underdog-like powerhouse #3 seed in the northern and western part of the country, will be addressed. This miniature teacup collector’s decision to lay me off for no real good reason may also be brought up, for no good reason.

But that’s tomorrow.

Today I wish to praise Tivo. It really does change your life. In a positive way. It’s not actually Tivo that I have. Sorry Tivo. I know you guys don’t like your company name being used as a generic word. Let’s instead say I have Moxi. Which is the real name of the service Adelphia cable is selling for a measly $9.99 per month. I wish to praise Moxi.

The preceding paragraph is one that I would have written yesterday if I had bothered to. Instead, I will issue the following addendum:

What’s up, Moxi? Why aren’t you working anymore? I come home after a hard day of work – one that involves attending a meeting filled with the (often justifiably) angry constituents of my government-like employer which will continue to remain nameless even though everyone who’s reading this likely knows me personally and knows who I work for. Anyway, this 2-hour meeting, which took place after normal work hours, taught me two lessons about open-to-the-public civic events: 1) Don’t get there early for the food; the food’s not worth it; and 2) Translators are underrated. So, I get home and Moxi/Tivo isn’t working. I had to call the Adelphia 800 number and after a few operator-assisted system resets that didn’t result in restored service, I now have to wait until……

Stop.

What am I doing? I will NOT resort to being a blogger who complains about petty personal problems and inconveniences. Not until real human suffering is thwarted completely. Then, I will proceed with the complaints.

Instead, some random offerings of praise: Antony and the Johnsons, you make beautiful music. David Spade, you were always underrated. Maria Tomei, you’re the best and you deserve a starring role in something. Steely Dan, I appreciate your body of work. Jonathan Lethem, “Super Goat Man” just might be the best short story I’ve ever read. Orange poppy fields of Lancaster, California, you're beautiful and you respect the wind (the wind respects you back).

Now, I must go and study the tournament field. I picture a silhouette of a roadside diner sign against the backdrop of rolling desert hills in the outskirts of Tucson. The year is 1980.

No comments: