Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Windows, Tap, Swingtown

The new apartment is very nice. Call me shallow and ill-mannered but my favorite thing about the new place is that the morning paper gets delivered right to my door, rather than thrown over a fence and into a pit of mud. My least favorite thing about the new place would have to be the windows. Screens on the inside. Glass on the outside. Strange.

And here’s a list:

My Top 7 Encounters With This Is Spinal Tap Cast Members, Using The Names of the Characters They Played

1. Christmas party at Jeanine Pettibone’s house, Encino, 2003
2. Standing next to Nigel Tufnel, waiting for our coffee drinks, Peet’s Coffee, Santa Monica, 2005
3. Standing behind Derek Smalls, waiting for our coffee drinks, Peet’s Coffee, Santa Monica (different location), 2004
4. Sitting two rows behind John “Stumpy” Pepys, watching Forrest Gump at the Beverly Center movie theater, 1994
5. Passing Derek Smalls on Main Street, Santa Monica, 2004
6. Walking past Derek Smalls as he sat on the patio of the Rockenwagner restaurant, Santa Monica, 2004
7. Listening to Jeanine’s Pettibone’s brief but moving tribute to graduating Alexander Technique students, Santa Monica, 2005

Some day (not today) I will write about the guitar/synth solo in the song Swingtown by the Steve Miller Band. I will discuss its unappreciated influence, specifically how the solo (in its brief iterative stages) changed the history of music.

1 comment:

Ali said...

No, I never saw Paul Schaefer. Except in a dream. He was weilding a pitchfork, singing about Bermuda and pointing at my hair saying "I want that!"