Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Conversations with Myself

We’ve nailed down the story structure. And the character motivations. And the opening scene – pre-credits, stare in awe, we’ve got you! The ending’s a tough one though. We’ll work it out.

Elevators are strange social laboratories. I just got back from my lovely daily break from the office. On the way down, the big boss – the Mayor of Los Angeles (a nickname, not a title) – signaled his desire to get out of the elevator by having his assistant shout (in an elevator) “Out Please.” Yes, I’m pretty certain he and his assistant have rehearsed this system, likely while binging on big-box cereal. Whatever happened to “excuse me, this is my floor”?

Who do I work for? The government.

On the way back up from lunch, the elevator was crowded with wet sweaty people (hot day) and the conversations were drunk with subtext. Silence was fraught with intentions. Introductions were quickly dispensed with and forgotten. “Excuse me” all the way around. Civil.

Why the blog? Well, in response to my one commenter, this is not intended as an occasional letter updating the reader(s?) on the specifics of my life. The entries will be random and interesting and hopefully (week)daily. Details will be revealed in time. Obscurity may thrust its ugly fist but will be held in check by the reward of exposition. The running theme of the screenplay will frame the content, specifics doled out like government butter. A narrative will emerge and you will bookmark Blueprint Blues.

Will there be lists and poems and stories? Not likely. Those are more appropriate for my e-mail list of 2 to 4 people. But you never know. I refuse to make rules that will haunt me. Will I rail against the system? Yes, with irony. Will I randomly praise and wistfully bemoan that which I love and miss, respectively? Yeah. Will I stop with the questions already?


I just took off my tie. The morning meeting is over and it’s all grind and toil until 4:55. Charts and graphs and text. Maybe there’ll be another entry but don’t hold your breath. Breathe.

No comments: