Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell Saved My Soul

I'll admit it. I've been a bit depressed lately. I've lacked motivation. I was sick for two weeks with an unknown malady of unknown origins and unknown cure. Physically I'm better now. Mentally, it's still fuzzy and dewy, much like mornings in Long Beach.

I needed something to pull me out. I was in deep so I knew that something would have to be something strong and world-changing. As I walked past the majestic and looming library at USC this morning, I thought it would have to be a book, a big novel most likely. I long for the 750+ novels of not so long ago (Infinite Jest (1996, 1,079 pages), Underworld (1998, 836 pages), The Royal Family (2001, 804 pages). But those books have been rare lately. Yeah it's cool that the grand architecture of the library made me want to go read a book. But no it was not a book that shook me up and awake. It was this song:



I heard it for the first time an hour ago, on this couch, in this apartment. Depending on which version of the song you listen to, it's between three and four minutes. So, in 60 minutes, I should be able to listen to it approximately 16 times. I have listened to it 17 times I prefer the Wallpaper remix linked above but the original will work too. By the end of the summer, this will be the hugest song in the history of the world and people will complain about its ubiquity. Me? I will just keep listening. It will keep making me happy. It will always make me happy.

You see, it's a COMBINATION Pizza Hut and Taco Bell. This is what I should be doing - writing songs that capture a nation, define a generation, writing something - ANYTHING - to define a generation. For a while I lacked inspiration. I got it back at 7:38PM PDT time tonight. It's never going away. I'm at the Pizza Hut. What? I'm at the Taco Bell. What? I'm at the combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell.

(This song has been out for a couple of months. I have some vague notion of the song bring mentioned somewhere, some place, So why haven't you - my "friends" - told me about it before? Do I have to learn everything from Pitchfork? You didn't think THIS SONG would make me happier than a little boy freshly rescued from a fall into a deep well? Wow, disturbing metaphor there.)

No comments: