Thursday, September 04, 2008

Almost Famous: A Thinkpiece

Has there ever been a bigger jump in quality from one director/writer's film to the next than the jump from Cameron Crowe's Jerry McGuire to Almost Famous? Holy crap Almost Famous is great. And whatever happened to the kid who played the kid? Any why hasn't Philip Seymour Hoffman done a Lester Bangs biopic yet? And what happened to Kate Hudson's aura?

I'm watching the movie now. The Tiny Dancer bus scene is on now. Sure it's corny but wow - I wish I'd been on that bus singing that song (for real, not just in the movie).

And then there's the Ben Fong-Torres character. Someone needs to make a buddy film with him and Bangs. Hey - I can write that!

I saw Almost Famous four times in three weeks in the dollar theater in Hopkins, Minnesota. Even Jimmy Fallon shines. McDormand. Fugit. Crudup.

"I didn't invent the rainy day. I just own the best umbrella."

And Crowe went from this brilliance to Vanilla Sky? Unexplainable.

But if you're going to have a peak, it might as well be Almost Famous. The film that gave us Fever Dog by Stillwater.

Come to think of it, I peaked in 2000 too. As a writer. That's the year I wrote Lippa. And Satellites. And of course Little Big Junebug. The Jubilee Trilogy.

And of course I wrote Wingo then too.

Wingo. That needs a rewrite.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Am I writing to an audience of one?

"He sold you to Humble Pie for 50 bucks and a case of beer."

Time for sleep. Late night blog entries lack focus. The sun better shine tomorrow. Yes, it always does. And it better not be hot. And if I didn't know any better...

"It's all happening."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

totally know what you mean!! the "tiny dancer" scene seems so corny to some people..but to think at that moment all your worries and fears just dissapear because you hear that one song with all the people you love ...it's inspiring really... and "its all happening" is a phrase you could use in every day life... they should make more movies "Almost Famous" definately..but if they did we might al be dissapointed and realize it could never compare to almost famous or it was just a sucky knock-off remake... any way the movie is awesome and im relieved to know im not the only peron out here who is totally in LOVE with this movie=]