Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Rolling South

Laurel and I took a walk on the Santa Monica / Venice Beach boardwalk last night. Not to get all sentimental and windswept but there’s something really cool about the off-season beach on a breezy spring night, with the boarded-up lifeguard stations and the sparsely populated (with German tourists) beer cafes. And it’s a good time whenever you hear the following two random quotes: “Look who’s rolling south tonight!” and “Why do the geeky guys always get the beautiful women?” The first quote courtesy of a rollerblader, in reference to another rollerblader. The second quote courtesy of a homeless man, in reference to me and Laurel.

I always like starting and ending a paragraph with the same word.

Today is one of those days like the Sunday in the video for Morrissey’s Every Day is Like Sunday video. Cloudy, gray, filled with both mope and hope. A sly drizzle on my morning windshield. A consideration of whether to bring the umbrella from car to office. How can a drizzle be sly? It’s complicated, in an unthreatening way.

Things I’ve learned since my last entry: Arrested Development is the best show on TV. Bernie Mac is not flawless. The Timberwolves need a pure point and a rebounding center. The Dodgers are better than I thought. My car needs a tune-up. Patience breeds progress. Love is a battlefield but like oxygen nonetheless. Dreamers will always dream. Beck’ll be alright. Jeff Goldblum should be Conan O’Brien’s permanent co-host. Maria Tomei should be a superstar, as should Katie Holmes. It’s possible to eat too much starch and play too many card games. There is nothing wrong with sleep. I want to live on a quiet street.

No comments: